Sunday, September 6, 2015

SNSD - "Lion Heart" MV


I'm long overdue for this, mainly because I've spent the last week griping about how terrible things are for me, so it's time for a refresher break. Time to review My Daughters' second, or first, whatever it's considered, title track, Lion Heart.

Where do I begin with the MV? Well, the styling is on point, the girls almost all look impeccable, minus Sunny to an extent, whose stylist dun fucked up worse than PARTY this time 'round. The blonde, at least, is offputting. The red is okay.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/393f81c399eb215afbedb73cf8ac5f18/tumblr_nr4egdQvWo1r9otrno3_1280.gif



Where do I begin with "Lion Heart"? Well, it's certainly no PARTY, it's not a typical summer fare, nor is it exactly an edgy romp in the vein of "You Think". It hearkens back to Dancing Queen, which I know there is a certain divide of opinions on, some enjoyed the "Mercy" remake, and others abhorred it. Since I personally liked it, I liked "Lion Heart".

Lion Heart is certainly far from SNSD's strongest title track, but it certainly is up there with their stronger songs post-Jessica. It's not as messy as CMIYC, it's not a snorefest like PARTY, but it's a light and relatively safe vintage romp, it's not perfect, it's far from, but it is a pretty decent tune overall, it doesn't quite pique my interest like You Think did from the first listen, but the girls as usual bring their flair to the affair with their vocal styles, I've always liked the way that SNSD has harmonized, so shockingly not, I enjoy it here.

The video is a bit of a confusing venture,  or rather, it's intending to tell a story, but really goes nowhere, it's not exactly a "cohesive" story even though it's supposed to be plot-driven, and while the styling and outfits are impeccable this era (thank you, based SM!), I can't help wonder, what the fuck is with the Furry pandering ass Lion shit. I get that the lion is supposed to be representing the shit boyfriend being sung about, and that "Lion Heart" is a play on words for "Lying Heart" (or "Lyin' Heart" if you want to pronounce it correctly), but really? Dude be lookin' like he just strutted out from a furry convention.

Someone on AKP actually alleged that the dude in the fursuit was Shindong voluntarily assuming the role for Free Pizza. More details at 11.

So now S&M SM Entertainment has ventured into Furry Territory, there is a fear that they may never find their way back. Yall motherfuckers need Jesus.

 

In all seriousness, who the fuck is such a stupid fucking fuck who thinks he won't be caught cheatin' on 8 bitches. Dude traipsing around like he ain't gonna get caught. I get that it's supposed to be for comedic effect, but meh, it's kind of a flat attempt. My favorite part of the video is basically when the girls start shitting on him. Actually, my favorite part is when Furry Fuck is implied murdered by Hyoyeon.


The real value of the video shines in its aesthetic and fashion value, honestly. Most of the girls look marvelous, primarily Taeyeon, who has been looking adorable this era. Reiterating what I said in my You Think post, her stylist deserves all the accolades. Bitch couldn't look ugly if she tried. Even Hyo this era is looking relatively good. The fashion of the video reflects the retro style of the song, and the scenery accompanying it, very well, from the vibrant patterns and colors featured during the early dance sequences, to the demure and light florals featured later on, the fashion is very fitting to the era they're trying to emulate, and I looooove it. That combined with the styling and the scenery (the backgrounds, yay, SM, you ventured outside the dance in a box!). Of course, all the outfits within the video are allegedly designer (though given SNSD's checkered fashion past, they may be "homages" or plagiarized versions of the designer garments, which I personally don't care about, whether or not they are or aren't is not my concern, but whether they're cute or not to me is) so they're out of normal budget range for anyone, unless your grandmama or mama can be like one of SNSD's stylists and replicate that shit completely (I call it "illegally downloading a dress").

The only member, as I mentioned beforehand, whose hair was even the slightest bit problematic was Sunny's, but I think I'll adjust to it eventually. I liked long hair PARTY Sunny better, bish should've kept that long red weave.

Aside from that, there were also a few scenes where the circle lenses were gazing deeply into the crevices of my soul, but that's alright. It's not exactly RV's Ice Cream Cake level soullessness.

Overall I'd say for SNSD, especially post-Jessica, Lion Heart is a solid effort. Visually, Lion Heart is the stronger video in terms of styling and fashion, even if You Think remains the fiercer and more memorable tune. Minus the odd attempt at a plot and the furry madness, Lion Heart is a pretty solid music video production, and the song itself, while nothing particurally *special*, is enough. Is is SNSD's best comeback effort? No. Is it missing something? Yes, in a sense, a very notable component is missing from the group, that a lot of people find difficulty adjusting to. Jessica's departure has weakened SNSD in a sense indefinitely, even if they have come out with decent songs thereafter, most are used to OT9, thinking that SNSD would always be 9. the absence of her vocals and presence is a weird thing indeed. With SNSD being a notable girlgroup with what was once a solid, cohesive lineup, many have taken Jessica's departure as a detriment to SNSD, and to an extent, it has been.

Unfortunately, the Lion Heart album and title songs are flopping on certain charts, compared to their past releases, proving that even the top singers in K-pop can eventually be dethroned by their "adoring" public. I think the girls can still go strong, despite recent controversy. They are not in their "Gee" days anymore, it is no longer their viral hayday, but they still have the capability to perform. And their stages for this era have been good. Bitches can suck my ass. I like this era quite a bit, lol.

Ok, now it's Time for Taeyeon!







No comments:

Post a Comment