Tuesday, August 18, 2015

K-Fashion Perils: One Size (Supposedly) Fits All

Onto other things on my mind, I once considered ordering kfashion online, thinking it wouldn't be as massive a cost as everyone says it is, at least, compared to the nightmarish prices of Japanese clothes (and the fact that they wouldn't probably even be able to fit over my fat gajin tittays) - and I realized they weren't necessarily wrong. But I kept stumbling upon sites claiming to sell mostly "one sized" things, from shirts to swimsuits. In the United States, I guess, in the land of Fat Foreign Fucks, we don't market or sell "one size" things frequently that I've seen, especially not shirts. God forbid some obese size 22 feminista can't find a 3XL shirt in the United States, god forbid the United States have non obsese people in a country where the obesity rate apparently boasts over 40% ! so I was completely baffled by the fact that in Korea, there were so many "one size" clothes, until I found clarification.

Ok, first of all, Korea is one of the thinnest countries, or at least, healthiest countries in the world, with one of the lowest recorded obesity rates in the world, alongside most other parts of East Asia; Japan, China, etc. So ergo, they do have different standards. I guess I should've expected that. They also have nitpickier standards when it comes to who is fat vs who is not, as in, they are very critical, which is why their idols are lighter than their American counterparts, blah blah blah, to say there's not a certain glorification of thinness would be outright lying, of course, that's unfortunate for a Westerner who comes to Korea, Japan, etc, or at least, a rather heavyset Westerner.

Now, I wouldn't call myself heavy, I don't think myself thin either, for someone who's like, 5'7" to 5'8" and 110 I still thnk most of my weight is fat based since i've gotten out of shape, but even I have skepticism that I can fit in teeny Korean "one size" clothing. Appearantly in Korea it's difficult to even find a bra to fit breasts above a C or D cup, or if you can trust word from Martina from EYK.

Another "apparently", most shops don't let you "try on" these one size articles while shopping in Korea physically, which is what really piqued my NOPE meter here.

I'm not sure what online stores would do in the case that a clothing article did not fit, and the lot of the k-fashion sites I've gone to are free sized based, and give little information aside from the length of tops or shirts, no mention of the bust, waist, hip size or anything. I don't know. As a 34C, maybe a 36B, somewhere stranded in between.... 25 inch waist, big by azn standards (ridiculous standards), and around a 34 inch hips I just don't see the point in it. I love the cuteness of Asian clothing, I love the style, but I want something that'd at least fit me properly if I were going to order it, I don't want to risk ending up with tiny freesize items that'll be able to fit around my calf muscle and not the rest of me. But all the same, I want a few cute Asian fashion items....

ghhh, as the Koreans would say... 아이고

No comments:

Post a Comment